WHAT ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Southern Minnesota Implant Dentist
Dental implants are the modern option available for tooth replacement, with the first successful implants completed in 1965. Since then, dental implants have undergone a number of advancements to make them better, stronger, and more reliable. Dental implants consist of three components:
- Implant screws: The metal or titanium screw that are placed into your jaw. A process called osseointegration allows the bone to fuse with the dental implant screw. This process stabilizes the implants within your jaw, enabling them to securely hold your new teeth (crown) in place.
- Abutments: The abutments are small posts that allow for connecting your replacement teeth. These components are placed on the tip of the dental implant.
- Crowns: The crowns, typically made from ceramic, are your new replacement teeth. They replace the visible portion of your missing teeth, restoring your abilities to bite, chew, and speak. They also restore the appearance of your smile.
DENTAL IMPLANT OPTIONS
Dental implants are a versatile treatment that can be used in different tooth loss situations. There are several different types of dental implants.
Implant options include:
- Single tooth replacement: With this option, a single implant holds a single crown, replacing one individual tooth.
- Multiple teeth: Two or more crowns are supported by one or more implants. This type of treatment is referred to as an implant supported bridge.
- Full arch replacement: When you are missing an entire arch of teeth, a common treatment is an implant supported denture. This treatment uses anywhere from 3 to 8 implants to support your new teeth.
DENTAL IMPLANT BENEFITS
Dental implants offer a number of benefits, including:
- The crowns look just like your natural teeth. Ceramic can be made to match your existing teeth, and the material reflects light just like tooth enamel.
- They feel completely natural.
- They function just like your natural teeth. You can go back to enjoying all of your favorite foods. Additionally, your speech is also restored, and you do not need to worry about relearning how to speak.
- They are comfortable. Your teeth are supported by the implants rather than your gums.
- The implants restore stimulation to your jawbone, stopping and preventing further bone loss in your jaw.
If you lose your teeth, whether one tooth, several teeth, or all of your teeth, your quality of life can be permanently restored with dental implants. Contact Southern Minnesota Implant Center at (507) 625-0282 to schedule an initial consultation to learn if dental implants are the right choice to improve your smile.